Information for parents on the reopening of the Wellsboro Area School District. Download a copy of this plan as a PDF.
- Health Screening questions and temperature checks completed daily by parents.
- Temperature scans conducted daily before entering buildings/buses. No one will be allowed to enter the building or bus with a temperature above 100.4.
- Limited interactions with other students.
- Frequent hand washing/sanitizing.
- Masks required when not socially distanced at 6 ft. (See mask section below for more information.)
- Additional attention to sanitizing high touch areas. Custodial staffing will increase during the school day to assist.
- Buildings will be disinfected nightly.
- Plexiglass partitions will be installed in high risk areas.
Instructional Options (K-12)
Option #1: In school, 5 days a week. Students stay in assigned grouping with Google Classroom (grades 5-12) and Seesaw (grades K-4) used as a component to instruction.
K-4: Students will remain in the same classroom with teachers rotating to different classrooms.
5-8: Students will complete two content areas in the morning with teachers rotating to each room. Two additional content areas will be covered in the afternoon with teachers rotating to the classrooms. Students will move for specials and to lunch.
9-12: Students will follow a block schedule and only move classrooms 4 times daily, Monday through Thursday. Friday will be a flex day. Students will remain in small groups, all day, to work on assignments. This day will be optional for in school attendance. Students may choose to remain at home to complete assigned work for the week. Attendance will be taken online for flex Fridays.
*If a student chooses option #1 and is absent for any reason, he/she will follow option #2 until returning to school, in order to not fall behind their peers.
*In the event of a short/long-term school shutdown, Option #1 students will transition to Option #2 until schools reopen.
Option #2: Remote Learning Model – students will remain at home with the instructional methods paralleling Option #1- in school. This option allows for an easy transition back into face- to- face instruction with peers. Students remain with their assigned normal grade level teachers. (Option #1).
Option #3: Wellsboro Online Academy – students will remain at home with content coming from the Capital Area Online Learning Association facilitated by WASD faculty.
Other Options Outside the District
Home School: Parents design and deliver instruction in the home. Activities are evaluated by a homeschool evaluator.
Parent Choice: Organizations outside of WASD provide instruction and staffing for students.
School Start and End Times
The school day will begin at 8:00 am and end at 2:15 pm for K-8 and 2:24 pm – 9-12.
By shortening the school day by 45 minutes, teachers will have a common prep time after students have left the building. This method will allow for class sizes to be reduced.
Masks and Face Shields
Students and staff will wear masks/ shields according to the guidance and requirements from the state and the PA Department of Education.
To start the year, this means:
- Students will wear masks on their school bus or van. While entering or exiting the building, while in hallways and bathrooms, or at any time during the school day that he/she is unable to social distance (6 feet) masks/shields will required.
- Masks and shields may be removed inside a classroom that is equipped with plexiglass desk guards or are socially distanced 6 ft. apart.
- Students may wear face shields that attach to the brim of a hat/cap.
- All hats/caps must be appropriate for the school environment.
All face coverings regulations from the CDC/DOH will be followed and modified accordingly.
- Students will have assigned seats with family members seated together.
- Seating will be arranged so that the bus seating is filled from the back to front.
- No more than 2 per seat unless they are family members.
- Masks will be worn at all times on any school provided transportation.
- Buses will be sanitized each day after both the morning and afternoon runs. Temperature screenings will be performed before entering the bus. No student with a temperature above 100.4 will be allowed to be transported.
K-8 Special teachers, will come to each assigned group of students. Minimal movement of students or specials will be held outdoors.
*Chorus, band, and Phys. Ed may look different than prior years.
A hot and cold option will be available in each building. Cafeteria options will be limited. No buffet or self-serve options will exist.
Cafeteria – lunch times will vary from prior year schedules.
K-4 students will eat in their classrooms or outdoors when possible.
Outdoor seating will be available when possible. Indoor seating will keep students 6 feet apart. Gyms and other areas will be used to expand cafeteria seating areas for students in grades 5-12.
Mask free breaks will be provided as needed and when appropriate. These breaks will follow social distancing rules.
Recess: Small groups with options of masks/shields and no social distancing or no masks/shields and social distancing required at all times.
If you are sick, stay home. Students will not be permitted to stay in the nurse’s office for extended periods of time. Parents/guardians will be responsible for picking up ill students when notified by the school nurse.
Testing: We are not a testing site and cannot require individual testing.
Contact Tracing: The Department of Health will provide all contact tracing procedures. If a case of COVID is reported for a student or staff in the school, WASD will follow The Department of Health directives regarding shutdown and quarantine measures necessary to ensure safety.
Quarantine Area: Any student that displays COVID-19 symptoms during the school day will be moved to a quarantined area until they are able to be picked up from school.
In addition, a Zoom Q&A session will be held on Tuesday, July 28th, at 5:30 pm. A link will be provided on our website and Facebook page.